Feature Links for
Employee Benefits

Related Links

Benefits − Insurance (Non Health, Dental and Vision Coverage)

On this page, we will provide you with information on how your insurance (non-medical, dental, or vision) coverage would be affected by layoff or separation from state service. For information on medical, dental or vision insurance, see Health, Dental and Vision Coverage.

Disability Insurance:

If you are enrolled in the State’s Long Term Disability insurance program, you may convert to an individual policy if you are laid off. This program provides income replacement in the event you are unable to work due to an injury or illness. See the Department of Personnel Administration for more information on the program. Contact EDD at 1-877-945-4747 for more information on converting to an individual policy.  

Group Legal Services Insurance Plan

Upon retirement or separation, an employee can convert to a plan with ARAG that is completely separate from the State’s sponsored plan.
For more information, please see ARAG's website at www.ARAGLegalcenter.com (Access Code 10202soc) or call the toll-free customer service line at 1-866-762-0972 or TTY 1-800-383-4184, or 711 to reach a relay operator.

Life Insurance:

If you are covered by the State’s Basic Group Term Life insurance program, you may convert your basic or supplemental coverage to an individual policy if you are laid off. Please contact Met Life at 1-800-252-8524 for information.

Long Term Care Insurance:

This program covers special care if you become ill or disabled and cannot take care of yourself. If you are enrolled in the CalPERS Long Term Care Program, your enrollment will continue as long as you continue your monthly payments. If you are paying your Long Term Care premiums through payroll deduction, you will need to contact CalPERS Long Term Care Program to make payment arrangements.

Nonindustrial Disability Insurance (NDI):

NDI benefits cease upon the effective date of layoff or separation from state service.

Workers’ Compensation:

If you currently are receiving workers’ compensation benefits, your benefits will continue based on the claim status and/or the specifics of your settlement. For any questions directly related to your claim, please contact your claims adjuster at State Compensation Insurance Fund (SCIF). If you are uncertain who that may be, please contact DMH’s Risk Management Office at 654-5165.