Professional Examinations and Licensing Requirements

Medical Professions
The Department of State Hospitals uses a variety of clinical, professional, technical, and trade professions in our hospitals. These classifications include doctors, nurses, psychiatric technicians, physical and rehabilitation therapists, psychiatric social workers, psychiatrists and psychologists; and a variety of food service, janitorial, law enforcement, mechanical/electrical, carpentry, and other trades classifications.

The California Department of Human Resources (CalHR) has a helpful Frequently Asked Questions page.

What follows are some helpful links for medical professionals who may have additional licensing requirements to practice in California.

Trade Professions

Physician and Psychiatrist licensing:
Pharmacy licensing:

Nursing exam for license
Nursing transfers from other states:
National Council Licensure Examinations for Resident Nurses and Practical Nurses as well as the National Nurse Aide Assessment Program (NNAAP) and the Medication Aide Certification Examination (MACE) can all be found here:
Licensed Vocational Nurse licensing support:

Psychiatric Technicians:
Social Workers:
Rehabilitation Therapists: No license needed but you must be Board-eligible in your discipline (Art, Music, Recreation, Dance/Movement).
T&E Employment and Education Verification
SurveyMonkey T&E

No California license needed.  National registration is required through